Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Reading

Hey! Beezer, how did my book get on your bed? I haven't finished reading that yet.

I'm just starting my summer reading. I try to be a well read kitty and its a good thing that I have similar tastes to mine mombean.

Cormac McCarthy's newest was published a year and a half ago, and will be a major motion picture soon.

The Road is McCarthy's dystopian, post-apocalyptic novel is set in a world of nuclear winter where ash is falling like snow and all wildlife and plants have died. There is no mention of kitties, and I shudder to think what may have happened to them.

The main people are a father and son who are traveling to find some place or any place where they can just live. As they make their way to the sea, where the father thinks it may be better, they encounter all manner of horrors. The only thing that keeps them alive and moving is the love the father has for his son, and his determination that the boy will survive.

I won't give away the end, but I found this to be a very thought provoking book and would recommend it to any kitty or their bean.

17 comments:

Parker said...

It's a good thing to be well-read Beezer!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Beezer, you are quite the intellectual! You look very comfy in your bed.

The Meezers or Billy said...

wow Beezer, you are very smart!

Tybalt said...

What an excellent book review, Beezer! Thanks for sharing with us.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beez
I think I have seen previews of this movie...wow you are a well read tabby cat! Right now I am a bit laid up with this bum ankle. I wish I felt better.

Your buddy
Ping

TabbyNormal said...

Hi Beezer! My new mom likes to read too. She just finished Louise Erdrich's The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse, and she said it was really good, but I think I would like it better if there were more cats in it. She says she will put your book on her list. Maybe you could tell me about a good book with cats in it?

Unknown said...

That sound like a good book, Beezer. We've tried readin' books, but we have trouble holdin' the book open with our paws. We find the newspaper to be easier, but not as inneresting.

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

We enjoy books when mom reads them out loud to us. Some are kinda scary tho. We bet mom would love that book too.

mog said...

Thanks for the review Beezer. I'm putting that one on my list for summer reading.

The Devil Dog said...

ohhh, mom is not sure she likes the sound of that. She hates when bad things happen to children.
It is good you are a well rounded kitty. We like intelligent kitties.

Roxy & Lucky

Daisy said...

That sounds like a really interesting book! My Mommie likes to read a lot, too.

Kimo and Sabi said...

Da Kitties were smart enough to prepare fer da apocalypse and they teleported in advance to another sustainable planet wif unlimited nip plants and stinky goodness. No beans allowed.

Lux said...

Thanks for the recommendation - my mombean is always looking for a good book to read!

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

The Big Thing likes those kind of stories an says he will get that one. He hopes it is as good as 'Lucifer's Hammer' by Niven and Pournelle!

We like it when he reads books, cause there is long quiet laptime... We are worried about no mention of kitties though.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

You are really good~!
I can't read like you did, I usually listen to Michico what's the book said!

Sweets the Cat said...

Sounds like an in-purr-esting story. I think I'd like it better if they were cats! Perhaps I can pretend?

"And then the manly tuxedo cat father says to the cute tuxedo cat son..."

Ah, thats the stuff!

Halloween said...

Hi Beezer! You are a very well read cat indeed. Are you enjoying the nice weather we are having?

Purrs, Halloween